What qualifications should a building inspector have?

A building inspector should:

  • Have a building or building surveying background with a Trade/Tertiary qualification in building (i.e. Trade Certificate/Advanced Trade Certificate)
  • Be a Licensed Building Practitioner (or similar), and be able to present you with a registration number
  • Be a member of a registered body such as the New Zealand Institute of Building Inspectors (NZIBI) or the New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors (NZIBS)
  • Have a proven record for carrying out building inspections
  • Carry full Professional Indemnity insurance